Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fractions (1510)

While working with fractions this last week, I realized how much I had forgotten from grade school. I was under the assumption that multiplying and dividing fractions would be a breeze for me. I was completely wrong on that. I believe the difficulty that I had throughout this chapter was largely related to my calculator use. I have become very dependent upon a calculator, which resulted in a loss of many of my basic math skills.

For both multiplying and dividing fractions, it really helped me to have an example right in front of me. The examples allowed me to see how the formula would be set up, and then I could just plug my numbers right in. This first image depicts the procedure for multiplying fractions.

I used this following example to show me the procedure for dividing fractions. The trickiest part for me was to remember to cross multiply. Never forget, it is only practice that can help you improve.

Divide Fractions
 






No comments:

Post a Comment