Sunday, June 26, 2011

Probability (1512)

Probability is the measure of how likely an event is going to occur. While going through many of my textbook chapters, I find it hard at times to relate what I am learning to the real world. I amazed at how many connections I have been able to make between probability and my own life experiences.

An experiement is a scenario involving probability that leads to outcomes or results. An outcome can be described as the result of a single trial of an experiment. To find the probability of an event, the following formula can be used:
              
Probability Of An Event
P(A) = The Number Of Ways Event A Can Occur
The total number Of Possible Outcomes

Many probability problems involve the use of cards, dice, marbles, coins, and spinners. These items work well to represent sample spaces and outcomes. While working on many of the problems in this chapter, I found drawing out a tree diagram to be the most helpful in many scenarios. This diagram allows you to layout and see all of the outcomes in the sample space.


Take some time to practice probability!

No comments:

Post a Comment