Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Analyzing Data (1512)

Last week I had the opportunity to learn more about analyzing data. This included different types of data displays, relationships, averages, and decision making. The section that I found to be the most interesting to me was on data displays.

I was amazed to see all of the different ways to display data. There are frequency tables, dot plots, bar graphs, histographs, circle graphs, and so many more. I began to remember learning about many of these data displays when I was in grade school. With all of the different types of displays, I wonder how students are able to keep them all straight when they are introduced in a single section.

When teaching a unit on data analysis, I think it is important for students to be introduced to the different types of data displays, while also learning how to read them. If you know how to read the information being shown, you can understand and describe relationships within the data, as well as the spread of the data.

No comments:

Post a Comment